Monday 4 August 2014

Book Favourites #1

If you know me, then you know that I LOVE to read. It is one of my favourite past times, I find it relaxing and exciting and sometimes life changing, when I come across something particularly special. So I thought I'd start a series on my blog, where each month I go over the best books that I read from the previous month. Hope you enjoy!

Memoirs Of An Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green
Wow. Wow wow wow. I loved this book so much. The premise is that a boy has an imaginary friend, who then has to save the boy when he disappears. It is such an amazing book, that really makes you think, along with lots of comedy. It might sound a bit immature, but I found it incredible. Definitely one to recommend.
You can find a link to it on Amazon here.

I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai
This is an inspirational novel about a girl who was shot by the Taliban for standing up for women's rights and education. Malala is an incredible woman, having accomplished so much while still being the same age as me. It shows the importance of standing up for what you believe in, as well as the difference that one person can make when they are passionate and vocal. You can find a link to it on Amazon here.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Gaiman, you've done it again. A fantasy novel about the underside of London, I found this such an enjoyable read with lots of twists and turns along the way. Even if you're not a fantasy reader, I think this would be one to browse just for the phenomenal writing throughout. You can find a link to it on Amazon here.

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
This is the sequel to 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' - another great book - and this sequel is an excellent follow through. The book is written alongside photographs which are showed every few pages, which really helps the reader to visualise and find themselves in this peculiar world. If you've read the first one, I'd definitely recommend the sequel. If you're looking for a new series to dive into, this is it. You can find a link to it on Amazon here.

The Man Who Couldn't Stop by David Adam
If you're interested in psychology, you've come to the right place. This book is sll about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - its history, challenges, variety, and how debilitating it can be, as well as ideas on how to overcome the condition. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, especially the examples of people who have OCD along the way - from the beginning you realise that OCD isn't just about people who compulsively wash their hands, but so much more. Probably my favourite of the month. You can find a link to it on Amazon here.

So there you go! A mix of non-fiction and fantasy this month for the favourites, and they were all excellent books that I'd highly recommend.

What was the best book you read last month? Or your favourite book in general?

Hope you have a great day!
Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment